Things to do when getting a divorce:
1. Hire an divorce attorney. This is especially important if you have children and assets.
2. Photocopy legal and financial documents, especially going back three years. You will want mortgage payments, bank statements, pay stubs,income tax returns, stock certificates and bonds – to supply your lawyer or mediator.
3. Protect your credit. Cancel joint credit cards and credit cards, and establish credit in your own name.
4. Check medical coverage. If you are covered under your spouse's account, plan on getting your own medical insurance.
5. Document assets. Take pictures and make lists of joint assets. Copy receipts for large items if you have them. Make copies of family photographs both spouses will want.
6. See number one. Hire a good lawyer, with experience in divorce!
7. Here are some tips in preparing for divorce court.